Monday, June 3, 2013

Allergic Reaction

I was packing up some more things when I realized that I was itching pretty badly. My scalp was itching, my collarbone was itching. Even the tops of my ears were itching and they NEVER itch. What was going on? It wasn't until itchy rashes formed on my arms and a red patch the size of Guatemala spread over my collarbone that I thought to myself, I'm having an allergic reaction. But to what? I didn't eat anything today that I hadn't eaten before. I had some brown rice and spinach and shrimp for dinner--things I've been eating for years. Then I had a peanut butter cookie, too, but why am I itching? I had rice and spinach for lunch and I didn't itch then so it wasn't that. I also had a peanut butter cookie yesterday and nothing happened. Could it be the shrimp? Or did I suddenly develop an allergy to peanut butter? In either case, I was too frenzied to figure it out right then. The itching was getting worse and spreading all over my body. I asked my roommates for allergy medicine, and Christina gave me a Claritin-D pill. It was supposed to strong, but half an hour after I drank it, I was still itching and it was getting worse. Finally, my roommate Nava had to drive me to the pharmacy to buy Benadryl. I had already called Matt earlier to ask what I should do about an allergic reaction and he suggested Benadryl. No one in the house had any, however, and so I bought some at the pharmacy instead. Nava also called her father, who is a doctor, and he said that Benadryl should be fine for me. I took it and the itching went away by the time Nava had driven me home. In an hour the rash had disappeared, too, although I started to get very sleepy. Drugged sleepy, anyway. Matt had warned me that this would happen. Luckily, I had done most of my packing by then already, and could go to sleep. I did, however, give Nava a free bottle of laundry detergent for "saving my life" as I called it. She had wanted to buy laundry detergent when we were at the pharmacy but I told her that I got a free bottle from the grocery store so I'll just give her that. She, of course, took it gratefully and said that it was the Benadryl that saved my life, not her. All the same, I'm glad I was able to repay her in some way. Now all that's left is to figure out if it's the shrimp or the peanut butter...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.