Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Soaked

I came home from school soaked today. I saw how it was raining this morning and I briefly thought about driving to school instead. Then I remembered that driving to school meant that I would have to find a parking spot and still have to walk 20 minutes to class. Either that or wait for a bus which may never come. I decided to walk. I have my trusty umbrella, I thought. What's the worst that could happen? (How many times has someone said THAT in a story?) By the time I got to class, my shoes and socks and pants were soaked. I spent the next two hour and forty minutes in class shivering in my wet socks. Then, stupidly enough, I decided to walk home, too. I should have just asked my friend Julie to give me a ride home, but I thought, It's just drizzling. I'll be fine. I got about a fourth of the way home when I heard this C-C-R-R-R-A-C-K! Lightning, my dear readers. Lightning. And thunder. And then it started POURING. Just bullets of rain and rivers of rainwater. Great, I thought. I'm in for it now. Still, I had to get home somehow.

Walking home was a bit of an adventure. There were some places where the sidewalk dipped and I sloshed through about three inches of rushing rainwater. There was also so much water soaked into my socks and sloshing around in my shoes that I could have started my own beach. Why didn't I wear my snow boots? I thought halfway home. Of course, by then, it was too late. I also had to play some tricky dodge game with nearby traffic in order to keep from being drenched by the cars driving by. Their wheels would dig into the rushing streams of rainwater in the gutter and spray waves onto the sidewalk. It took some fancy footwork to survive this onslaught and even then I wasn't always successful. I think my leg and right side got sprayed twice by flying tsunamis of gutter water. By the time I got home, I was soaked from the waist down and there were droplets of water that had seeped into the faux fur of my jacket. Needless to say, I won't be doing that again. Next time, I'll just drive. On the other hand, a part of me still holds that it is safer to walk in the rain than to drive. Sure, driving keeps me dryer, but it also has the chance I might hydroplane and crash into something. Ah, pros and cons. We'll see what happens when it rains next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.