Friday, March 29, 2013

Uncle's House

I spent the weekend at my uncle's house and did so much! I watched a movie with my two-year-old cousin Patrick, borrowed my cousin's bike to go biking, read Alice in Wonderland, and learned American Sign Language. Then I learned how to cook beef noodle soup from my grandmother and my cousin Cathy and I made a chocolate swirl cake for her father's birthday. What a day!

Now, to break it down.

Movie: Meh. Wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Amusing at some parts, but I suppose it's not my kind of kid's movie.
Biking: I have not ridden a bike in ten years and so I was worn out so easily! I swear, I was only biking for about ten minutes before I was huffing and puffing and trying to catch my breath. Goodness, I'm out of shape. On the other hand, I forgot how fun biking can be! It made me want to go out and buy a bike of my own. Of course, I don't have the money for it, but if I get to move to New York City and get a job, I'm definitely saving up for a bike!
Alice in Wonderland: I thought the book was okay, honestly. The book had some funny bits here and there and it read very much like an extended dream sequence. I did like the chapter where Alice goes to court for the trial of the strawberry tarts, however. That was amusing. "I'm just a poor man," the Mad Hatter said, dropping his hat again in his nervousness. "You are a very poor speaker," said the King. Hah! Classic.
Learning American Sign Language: This was so much fun! My cousin had checked out a sign language book from the library and so I started reading it. I taught myself the alphabet, how to count to twenty, common household pets, and the days of the week. I have yet to learn other terms. Maybe I could find the book in my own local library and keep learning since I was always fascinated by sign language.
Learning how to cook beef noodle soup: This wasn't that informative since it wasn't much different from how I saw other people cooking it. My grandmother boiled onions for a few hours, then she took all these spices and put them into some cheese cloth before she soaked them into the broth. Pretty basic stuff. Also, even though I had heard rave reviews of my grandmother's beef noodle soup, I thought the soup itself was just okay, about as good as restaurant fare, but definitely not the best beef noodle soup I've had.
Baking a cake: My cousin originally wanted to bake two different cakes, but she only had one giant cake pan so we ended up mixing butter yellow cake mix in with triple chocolate fudge cake mix. At one point, I accidentally poured the butter into the wrong cake batter and cursed in front of my ten-year-old cousin. Her eyes grew really wide, but she didn't say anything about it so I just let it go. After we combined the two cake mixes, I told her to take a fork and run it through the cake batter in circles to make chocolate swirl cake. She loved it! So did everyone else in the house apparently. I didn't eat any cake because of my Lenten sacrifice and so my uncle, ever the jocular one of the family, ate his cake slice right in front of me and kept saying, "Yum! This is so good! I'm going to have another slice!" Everyone had a good laugh. I just smiled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.