Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Duck Prince

I've been reading this manga called The Duck Prince. I stumbled upon it while trying to look for a different manga, and I couldn't help but be drawn to this one since I can relate to it so much. The title of the story refers to the Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Andersen. Its introduction starts out with stating that in real life, an ugly duckling can never become a swan. The story itself centers on a boy who is described as "short and ugly". People at his school call him Helmet Head and his sister cruelly berates him, saying that she would be embarrassed if anyone knew that he was her brother. The boy becomes very depressed because of this and at one point, he says that he just wants to die so he can be reborn beautiful. One day, however, he saves a dog from being run over by a car and the car smashes into him instead. The dog, having secret magical powers, grants him his wish. He wakes up from a year-long coma with a brand-new (and gorgeous) face. Apparently, a plastic surgeon re-constructed his face and so now he is considered a "heart throb" by girls. He goes to a new school where no one knows him and starts life with a clean slate. However, he is still the nerdy, comic-book guy on the inside and, in spite of gaining the admiration of all the girls in his school, he just wants to find and reconnect with his childhood friend--the only girl who was ever nice to him. Trouble and drama arise, however, and he wonders if being beautiful is all it's cracked up to be...

I really relate to this story because I've always seen myself as ugly. Oftentimes, I wished I would go to sleep and wake up the next morning suddenly looking gorgeous. I often go through this list of all the things I could change about myself if I could and, while I realize that it's not a healthy attitude towards myself, I can't help but wish anyway. In that sense, I really relate to this story. I suppose, in a way, I'm living through the main character, who got his wish. I won't even wish so much to be a swan. Maybe one day I won't be an ugly duckling anymore. Just an average-looking one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.