Friday, January 4, 2013

Number 5: Having a Perfect Resume

My resumé has not ever been particularly impressive. I'm in graduate school now and so making a 4.0 GPA in high school does not count for much. My grades in undergraduate were only average and my extracurricular activities have been a hodge-podge of volunteer activities that have nothing to do with each other. My resumé also says that I took three years of French, but I can't speak it at all. I can read it a little bit, but that's not particularly useful if I have a French-speaking client and I don't have the ability to talk to them.

Sometimes, I wish I had done more extracurricular activities, but I doubt that it would have helped me with my field of work now. I never participated in anything that had to do with social work or with counseling people. I never did an internship or worked at a mental health clinic. Even my volunteer activities were never impressive since they just consist of one-day volunteer activities and not regular attendance in any group organizations. I suppose my lack of extracurricular activities was partly a result of depression and low self-esteem in my younger years. Since I was painfully shy and avoided outside activities, this prevented me from participating in any regular groups. Thankfully, I have reduced my depression and my self-esteem has improved since then so I am more willing to try things. That's part of the reason why I look forward to growing older. I like myself better with every year, and maybe this will spill over into my work life. And my resumé.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.