Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Resolutions

New Year's Resolutions

1) Practice mindful breathing. I often realize that I get short of breath when I'm anxious or distracted so I will practice regular, mindful breathing in order to reduce anxiety.
2) Write more. I really miss writing poetry, for example. And those goofy, fairy-tale parodies I do every once in a while.
3) Cut down on sweets. I definitely eat WAY too many sweets. I took a good look at my teeth today and they looked disgusting. I'm not sure if sugar is the culprit, but it definitely can't hurt to cut down on it. Also, since diabetes runs on both sides of my family, maybe it would be a good idea to reduce my sugar intake before I develop anything.
4) Spend more time just staring into space. I know that this one is strange, but I really do feel eye strain from so much reading and computer use required for my schoolwork. I resolve that in my free time, it would be better to just stare off into space and practice my breathing rather than surf the web.
5) Work on my cooking/baking. Matt suggested this one. He noticed how I was so enthralled by making French bread at his apartment that he recommended I get into it more. I usually stick to making the same things, but maybe this year would be a good one to branch out.
6) Assertiveness. Or rather, just be myself. I've been monitoring my interactions with people and from what I've gleaned, I act too stilted around others. I'm always afraid of hurting someone's feelings so I don't usually say no. I also spend too much energy anticipating people's needs instead of just asking them what they want, and that doesn't help anyone. This year will be a good year to undo that.
7) Relish silence. Every day, I feel as if I just jam in too much noise around me. Radio when I'm driving. Music when I'm working. Mindless chatter just to make conversation. What's wrong with the silence? Too long I have been using noise to drown out feelings of depression and alienation, of worry and hopelessness. But now is the time to figure out WHY I'm having those feelings instead of just running away from it all the time. As my supervisor would say, "Explore. Explore. Explore." Well, now is the time to do that.

Happy New Year, everyone! I'll write again when I celebrate Chinese New Year. Or Tet, as they call it in my home country. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.