Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Matt's Birthday

So today was Matt's birthday. I wanted to go out and do something special, but Matt just wanted to have a lazy day inside. It being his birthday, I readily acquiesced. When I asked him what he wanted to do, he suggested making French bread. Matt had received a Julia Child's cookbook for Christmas and so we spent the day making dough and letting it rise and stuff. Matt and I read through the cookbook and I must admit that I like the way Julia Child writes--compartmentalized and with a touch of humor. She's also subtle when she writes not-so-flattering things as well.

Matt also downloaded the game Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis on his computer for me to play. Now that was fun. The people who made the game also did a good job transitioning the music and casting the voices. The guy they got to voice Indiana Jones is named Doug Lee, but he sounds a lot like Harrison Ford. I looked forward to playing it because Matt had told me so much about it and because there were supposed to be puzzles to the game. Apparently, the puzzles were not in my area of expertise. The game requires me to read other people and to figure out what they want. I'm terrible at the kind of stuff (funny how I'm going to be a social worker someday). Matt had to help me out when I became too bogged down and I realized that I have a bit of a narrow view of the world (something my friends have told me for years). It took me a long time to realize that not all puzzles can be solved at one at a time. Sometimes, it's a better idea to go off and solve other things before I went back to the original puzzle. That's my problem right there. I'm too focused on things right in front of me. It does not occur to me that something I learned earlier might help later on. I don't notice things like that. Maybe playing this game could help me learn that skill.

After hours in the apartment, Matt got cabin fever and so we went out to find this game store in lower Manhattan. Matt and I thought that they sold trading card games and board games so we had high hopes for it. It turns out that they only sold one type of game and the entire store just focused on variations of that one type. On the other hand, I did get to play a Lord of the Rings-themed battle.

Truthfully, I was just glad to be out and about. I usually feel confined if I have to stay inside all day, but I did feel bad because Matt was shivering and cold the entire time we were walking around outside. In spite of this, we took a trip to McSorley's Pub where I bought Matt a birthday porter before we headed home.

Dinner consisted of homemade pasta, and we had green tea ice cream for dessert. The French bread turned out really well--all crispy crust and soft, spongy bread. Beautiful stuff. Matt sliced off two rounds for us to eat and we enjoyed it with pats of butter. I really want to get into cooking and baking now. Sometimes, I wish my life consisted of long days just working with my hands--cooking, baking, sewing, gardening, and building things. Maybe some day, I'll do that. Some day.

Also, something interesting came in the mail for me when I arrived home. More on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.