Friday, January 4, 2013

New Year's Resolution Updates

I know that the new year is only a few days in, but maybe doing regular updates on my resolutions will help to reinforce my resolve and document my progress in keeping up with things. Two of the resolutions have been helping--eating less sweets and enjoying the silence. They have been affecting my life in positive ways. Just the other day, I resisted eating sweets and when I went to the grocery store, I refrained from buying any fatty/sugary/over-processed foods. I'm quite proud of myself. I also don't listen to music anymore while I'm driving. Instead, I spend the time in quiet meditation and I believe it lowers the anxiety I have about driving.

Something else I resolve to do is to spend less money. To this end, I sat down to thoroughly look at how and where I used the most money. I spent about an hour documenting my expenses over the last nine months of my life and it shocked me to discover how much money I spent on food. After that, I resolved to cut down on my food expenses. For example, now when I go food shopping, I don't buy dairy products or meat anymore. I also keep my purchase of processed foods to a minimum. Fruits and vegetables are less expensive anyway, and much better for my health. This new action has the dual effect of lowering my food costs and inducing me to eat healthier.

I also applied for food stamps this morning and hopefully, that will bring my expenses down as well. Lastly, I was talking to my roommate yesterday and she told me how she shopped at a certain grocery store because it's cheaper. I usually go to the expensive one just because it's right around the block from my house. Maybe I could take a trip to the cheaper grocery store and buy lots of food at once so I don't have to take multiple trips. Buying fruits and vegetables at farmer's markets might help, too. That way, it helps local businesses, brings costs down, and I get to eat better because I eat what's in season instead of food shipped all the way across the country from California or Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.