Monday, October 8, 2012

Oct. 7, 2012

I went to church with the family this morning and somehow ended up sitting with the choir. After church, they thought that I wanted to join the choir and so they "recruited" me into choir practice. I didn't sing though, I just stood there lip-synching the lyrics and pretending to do tremolos and vibratos, just in case anyone was looking. They weren't.

After church, my uncle took me to a family get-together and they had so much food there! I can see that lots of food is a running theme in this family. Again, my cousins could eat a lot more food than I could. I mostly enjoyed some noodles and the sushi bar, but my cousins had two plates of food each and then went back for dessert. I enjoyed dessert, too--chocolate mousse cake, some fruit, and a sliver of flan. I actually don't like flan, but I always get an urge to eat it anyway. Must be the texture. It looks so much like cheesecake!

Lastly, I went back to my uncle's house to do the rest of my homework, but I was distracted by what was on television. My grandfather was watching a National Geographic Wild program, and I ended up watching it with him. Besides, it gave my tired eyes a chance to rest from all the reading. From the program, I learned about how African wild cats hunted--how lions are built for strength and not speed, how cheetahs are some of the most elegant killers in the world, and how leopards have such strong neck muscles that they can carry prey three times their weight up a tree. I learned of the termites' greatest enemy--ants (yeah, that surprised me), and how zebras and gazelles survive on the savannah. Fascinating stuff. That program, coupled with the fact that I just went to the zoo yesterday rekindled my childhood interest in animals. I used to be obsessed with animals, reading everything I could about them and watching Nature programs on how animals lived. I dreamt of becoming a zoologist or a veterinarian and now I wonder why I didn't. I remember liking animals when I was a kid and not liking people. Now I'm in training to work in a field of human services, not animal services. I wonder how that came to be...

Then I suddenly remembered--mysophobia. I had an irrational fear of filth and feces and the germs they could transmit. I knew that if I ever became an animal scientist, then I would inevitably have to work with animal feces and that did not seem all too pleasing to me. Also, a lot of animals could bite or sting or overpower people, and I was in no position to stand up to them. I also had a disproportionate fear of pain.

Wow, Huy was right: I'm a wimp. No wonder I chickened out and became a "people" person. I can't stand the pressure, the fear. Not that being a social worker doesn't have its risks, but it's less likely I'll be bitten, stung, overpowered, or pooped on. Unless I'm working with kids. Or those losing control of their bodily functions. Or with violent, psychotic folks. Or drug users. Oh dear, am I in the wrong major?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.