Monday, October 8, 2012

Oct. 6, 2012

My aunt took me to the zoo today! We went to the Philadelphia Zoo, which she informed me, was the first zoo in America. I was in awe as I strolled around the walkways, gawking at the oldest menagerie establishment in the US. It was pretty cool. I went with her younger children, and it made the experience. I think going to the zoo is so fun when you're a child and it was nice to be able to see it through their eyes, to see them interact with the animals and participate on all the rides. I joined in on some rides too. I got to ride a camel and a large white horse. The camel was bumpy and hard. It didn't have much cushioning for sensitive human bottoms. I wonder how people ride these animals for hours across the desert. That's what those cushions and pillows are for, I suppose, to help with the bumpiness. I was excited about riding the horse, however. I've always wanted to ride a horse and now was my chance. Granted that I didn't do anything other than sit there while a trainer walked the animal around, I still relished every minute. I hope that I can learn to ride a horse on my own someday.

We went through many other exhibits as well--barnyard animals, an aviary, the reptile house, and even a special building for nocturnal animals. I met the smallest monkey in the world--the pygmy marmoset and stood inches away from the green anaconda, the longest snake in the world. I also found out that a fifteen-foot king cobra can raise about a third of its body into the air. Seeing as how that's around five feet, a king cobra could look me right in the eye if it wanted. Now that's intimidating.

While the zoo was fun, I was relieved when we left. I don't see how my aunt does it, just toting her kids around from exhibit to exhibit, exhausting every ride, touring every building, and taking advantage of feeding opportunities. It's exhausting. She acts as if going to the zoo is a grand opportunity that she will only get this once so she wants to do everything. In reality, she has season passes to the zoo and makes her kids go with her every month so it's definitely not the last time she'll be there. I wonder if any other mothers are like this...

After the zoo, the family met up to eat at a Chinese buffet. I don't see how they can eat so much food! I can barely stomach two plates of food while I sit there watching them go back for fifth and sixth plates. It's astounding. They kept urging me to eat more and to go back for more food, but I just couldn't stomach it. However, I am glad that I got to try the chocolate fountain. People can come over to the dessert bar and there will be these fruits on sticks, mostly strawberries and pineapples. Then they can take a fruit stick and dip it into a fountain that had running liquid chocolate. It was beautiful. I could only eat one strawberry and one pineapple, but one of my cousins ate twenty chocolate-coated fruit sticks! Wow, they have a healthy appetite. And they're all skinny, too! I don't see how they do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.