Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hello Kitty and Stereotypes


I was riding in the car with a few of my friends when I noticed a Hello Kitty sticker on the car next to me. "Hello Kitty!" I exclaimed. I looked for the driver, meaning to tell her (I assumed it was a female) that I really liked her sticker. Boy was I in for a surprise. The person driving the car was not the young Asian femal that I had imagined, but a fifty-year-old white man. My jaw dropped. How was this possible? I thought. Maybe the car belonged to his daughter or a friend or something? Then I realized that I was being stereotypical and that not only young Asian women liked Hello Kitty. Who knows? Maybe it WAS his sticker. Maybe he likes Hello Kitty or maybe he thought it was cute. There's no need to justify by making up reasons why it was there. That's when I began to question what else I stereotyped. Did I expect giant pick-up trucks with flames painted on the side to be driven by hulking white men? Yes. Did I expect that only girls would like Hello Kitty? Yes. Did I imagine that fifty-year-old white males to only have sensible cars that had no cutesy stickers on them. Probably yes. Well, maybe it's time to let go of the stereotypes and just let people be. I mean, I don't fit the stereotype of most  girls. I don't like going to the mall. Or gossip. Or whatever it is girls are supposed to like. On the other hand, I do like spiders. And spider webs. I like rodents. And playing in the mud. I prefer food shopping or shoe shopping and I would rather watch action/adventure movies than romantic comedies. I like all kinds of things that girls aren't "supposed" to like. So if I don't fit the mold, then why should I fit other people into molds? By the way, I'm also fascinated (and repulsed) by mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.