Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pouring Rain

It was pouring rain on and off all day. It had started raining last evening and continued through the night. I didn't notice until the next morning that I had left all my car windows rolled down and so all four window sides of my car is damp with water. I hope it dries up and doesn't mold. I should be more careful next time. Luckily, I remembered to wear my snow boots this time...and forgot to bring an umbrella. The result being that when I ran from the parking lot of my summer camp to the office building where I work, I was soaked. My bangs were plastered to my forehead and my jeans were cold and damp. I tried drying off in the bathroom as best I could, but I was mostly still drenched. I tried lifting my knees and bracing them against the wall of the bathroom so I could dry my jeans under the hand dryer. The result was that I just ended up banging my knees into the wall and my jeans still stayed wet for several hours. I should do what other Asian girls do and just wear short shorts during rainy days. At least if rain got onto my legs that way, then it would mostly hit my skin, which dries off much more easily than denim. The work day went quickly and I left for home shortly after five. The sky was still overcast and cloudy, but I didn't think it was going to rain again soon.

I was wrong. Not ten minutes into my drive home, the sky opened up and started to drizzle. Then it started to pour. I drove slowly and carefully, relying on past experience and staying well behind the car in front of me so it would not splash rain water onto my windshield. Fortunately, I made it home safe and sound. I showered once I got home (since I was already wet) and of course, as soon as I got out of the shower, it had stopped raining and the sun was coming out. I took a chair outside to sit and read A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking when I was interrupted by two neighborhood dogs who ran up to the porch and barked at me. I was immediately frightened and got up to turn to the door in case they came lunging at me.

"Grady! Sit! Heel!" I heard someone shout. A red-headed man in green shouted out to the dogs. They eventually stopped barking and ran back to him. Well, one of them ran back to him. The grey dog named Grady went to go nosing into some flowers. "Grady! Come!" the man said again and again. Grady eventually did look up and start running back to him. Halfway through, however, the dog stopped and bent his hind legs. "Aw, come on, why do you have to poop now?!" the man said. I looked on for a moment and then returned to my book, in case the dog did not want anyone to watch him poop. I tried reading more of the book, but there was leftover rainwater dripping onto the pages from the eaves above and so I gave up after a while and went back inside. Matthew and I ended up having a geeky conversation that night about what I had read, mostly involving talking about gravity using models of trains and bowling balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.