Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Deceptively Neat

I was putting away things in my new apartment when I realized that my house was what I would call "deceptively neat." When my landlady first showed me the house, I thought that it was pretty tidy and spacious, only a lot of books everywhere, but that definitely was not a minus for me since I loved books. It was until I moved into the apartment and started opening doors to put things away that I realized why it looked so neat: everything extraneous--junk, plastic bags, extra books and kitchen wares were shoved behind those closed doors. The kitchen was the worse. The lower cabinets, while spacious were piled high with a disarray of kitchen tools, utensils, and cookware. I decided to take everything out, and organize it when I noticed some small brown pellets on the bottom of the cabinets. "Aw hell no," I said softly. They were either dead bugs or rodent poop. Upon closer inspection, the pellets did not have wings, antenna, legs, or shell casings so I deduced that it must be rodent poop. I called both my landlady and Matthew to ask them what I should do about it. The landlady said that I could clean it out if I wanted to and Matthew agreed. He just recommended that I wear gloves and disinfect the area with bleach as well. So I did. I spent the next four hours sweeping out the rodent poop, then washing and organizing all of the kitchen things. After I finished, I thought, it's a nice day outside. Why don't I enjoy it? So I took a chair out onto my front porch and just sat there, doing nothing but enjoying the weather and watching the neighbors play Frisbee. I should do this more often, I thought. I won't get the chance once the school year starts. And do you know how glorious it was to just sit there doing nothing? I hadn't done that in years! The weather was very nice, too so that helped, but it was also soothing to just sit there and BE. Not DO anything, but just to be. I think I'll make this a routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.