Saturday, February 9, 2013

Roadkill in the snow

I was driving home from the counselor when I saw a opossum and a deer lying dead on the side of the road. It was snowing that day and snowflakes were starting to cover up their lifeless bodies. For whatever reason, that made me very sad. I thought about what their life must have been like, growing up and learning how to survive, foraging for food and escaping predators. Now they're just gone, unseeing and unfeeling as they lie there in the snow drifts while cars pass by and no one gives them a second thought. The possum and the deer stayed on my mind for days, returning to my thoughts whenever I had a spare moment. It made me suddenly glad that I didn't eat meat very often. Then suddenly, I thought about someone picking up the roadkill and taking it home for dinner. I mean, it was probably still fresh since it was snowing and cold outside. Most likely, however, no one picked them up and took them home so they'll just lie there in the snow drifts until they waste away...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.