Friday, February 22, 2013

Carmen: The Opera

The day rounded out with a trip to the Metropolitan Opera House to see Carmen. Just for the occasion, I dressed up in the black Chinese dress Matthew had bought me and wore some heels with it. I must say, how DO women walk around New York City in heels? I only wore heels for a few hours and even though most of that time I was sitting down, my feet still hurt really badly at the end of the night. I'm not going to wear heels around New York again. Not if I can help it.

When we arrived at the Met, I called my father to tell him that I was at the opera. He said,
"Oh, the one on Broadway." Pause.
"No, dad, the one at the Metropolitan Opera House."
"Oh, okay. Have fun. Now, see, you've always wanted to see a show on Broadway and now you get to see it!" I shook my head and hung up. I love my father, but I think he doesn't really listen to me when I talk to him. I called my mother, but didn't mention that I was going to the opera. Instead, I talked to her about the weather instead. It's something to which we can both relate. After a while, Matthew signalled for me to get back in line and I excused myself saying that I would call back tomorrow because I was standing at a place that was really loud. I don't think my mother would know what an opera was even if I explained it to her. Oh well. To the show!

When we were waiting in line, I asked Matt if the performers sung live or if it was all pre-recorded. Matt gave an indignant, off-put gesture. "Of course it's performed live! This is the opera! Not some cheap....(mutter, mutter)". I felt really stupid then and didn't say anything more. I suppose I should research a performance before I attend so I don't ask stupid questions.

The opera was fantastic! I never thought I would like opera, but it turns out I was wrong. Everything was very well-performed and man, can those singers really project their voice. I also like that my first opera was Carmen, since it was scandalous when it first came out.

All in all, a very good time. Surprisingly, I didn't fall asleep during the entirety of the opera, in spite of my short attention span and the fact that the opera ran from 8:30-midnight. Bill, who wanted to see the opera in the first place, nodded off several times, and Hector fell asleep once. Hector also didn't like the opera because he thought it would be more dramatic than it turned out to be. Of course, he was also starving the entire three and a half hours of the opera so I'm sure his mood wasn't the best, either. Last, he called the singer who played Carmen "chunky." I suppose some people would consider her to be like that, but I thought she did very well, regardless of her body shape.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.