Friday, February 22, 2013

A new friend?

I was getting out of my seat to leave class yesterday when this streak of brown hair comes zipping up to me.
"Hey!" the streak says, enthusiastically.
"H-hello...?" I stutter. Very smooth of me.
"I saw the turtle on your laptop screen! Is that the Discworld turtle?!"
"Yes. Oh, I mean no. I mean, it does LOOK like the Discworld turtle."
"Do you know what I'm talking about?" she asks, a litle hesitant now.
"Yes, I totally do. Terry Pratchett? Rimwise and Hubward?"
"Yes! I saw that and I thought it was the Discworld Turtle!"
"Oh, well, it sort of does look like the Discworld Turtle."
This conversation seemed to be going in circles.
"I've read The Color of Magic and The Light Fantastic," I told her, trying to sound credible and legitimate.
"Oh, have you read this yet?!"
"N-no..."
"You HAVE to read it! We should have lunch sometime. I will bring the book and you will read it!" Finally, she introduced herself as Dani and I asked for her phone number (what else was I supposed to do?).

Now I know what it feels like when I sidle up to people like a lightning streak, pounce on them, and force them into awkward conversations where they inadvertently agree to have lunch with me and start tentative, awkward friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.