Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sunday's get together

On Sunday, I was supposed to go meet an old friend for lunch. I drove over an hour to reach the designated meeting spot, but, as long as I waited, he never showed up. After a while, I gave up and drove home. Once home, I went online to ask if he was okay (we don't have each other's phone numbers). I said that I was getting worried when he didn't show up at the restaurant. He replied and said that he DID show up and had waited over an hour for me. I was confused. As we recounted our day, it turned out that we somehow showed up at the same restaurant at the right time...and still missed each other. I swear, my life should be one of those screwball comedies (like the Mindy Project or 30 Rock). I just don't understand how it happened. I arrived at ten minutes before noon (noon being our designated meeting time) and looked and looked. I even walked twice around the restaurant and then asked the hostess if anyone had come in and was now waiting for someone. The hostess looked confused, but, after checking with her colleagues, she returned and reported that no customer had come in and was waiting for someone. My search around the restaurant proved the same. There was no one sitting alone or waiting for anyone. There wasn't even anyone in the restaurant who looked like my friend.

The sad thing is, my friend is moving away next weekend so this was my last chance to see him for a few months. I told him that I might get to meet up and hang out over the summer so we're holding out for that.

How did I miss it? I wonder. How did we miss each other? Maybe it will forever be one of those unsolved mysteries...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.