Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Office Job

I've been back at internship for about a week now, and no one has come in to fix our lights! They went dim the day my internship opened back up for the new year, and now, a week later, the lights are still very dim and flickering. It's better in the morning because there is natural sunlight streaming in through the windows, but when evening comes, it's a different story. My coworkers and I are struggling as we type up documents and organize files. Turrible. Absolutely turrible. I told my coworkers that I'm bringing in a lamp tomorrow just in case no one comes to fix our lights. Everyone, including me, is suffering from eye strain, and I can't take much more of it. I already have terrible eyesight and so I want to salvage whatever is left before I go legally blind.

Also, now that I'm working at my internship full-time until the school semester starts, I'm really getting a sense of how boring office life can be. It's lots of paperwork, filing, typing, and organizing. Not that I have anything against that. As a matter of fact, I'm quite good at that kind of secretarial office duty. When I took a career test in eighth grade, my strengths and talents pointed me towards being a file clerk. (Yes, God had great plans in mind for me...). It was fine doing clerical work two days a week during the school semester, but to do it for 40 hours a week is monotonous. Sitting for hours on end is not helping my back, either. My back tends to complain if I sit for too long. I do take time to stretch every 20 minutes, but the small office space and the jobs I am assigned do not allow much room for physical activity.

My mom used to praise office jobs. It's safe and secure, she told me. It's air-conditioned and protects you from the elements. In those cases, an office job DOES has its perks. It IS climate-controlled in here and it's a relatively safe, predictable environment. Still, the tradeoff for that is monotony, repetition, and a sedentary lifestyle. Not for me, no thank you. I never thought I would say this, but I hope that wherever I end up, it's not an office job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.