Tuesday, December 27, 2011

National Boxing Day

I never knew where this day came from, to be honest. I just associated it with the sport of boxing and I knew that it was a Canadian holiday so I thought that the Canadians must really like boxing to devote an entire day to it. Matt was the one who explained everything to me.
"Boxing was where you boxed up all the gifts you didn't want and return them."
"OH," I said. I had not thought of that.
"OR," he continued. "It's where you box up leftovers and give them to the homeless."
"That's very nice of them," I said, giving a smile.
"Yeah...I guess."
I laughed at that. " 'Yeah...I guess' " I said, imitating him.
"I think it all started with the rich. They were like, 'We have all this food left over...let's box it up and give it to the poor...I guess.' "

Well, to celebrate boxing day, I boxed up any leftover presents I still had to give people and left them in a pile in my room. I love seeing piles of presents; it just makes me so happy.

Also, I took a long drive with Craig and we went to the grocery store to buy cat food for Mogmi. That poor cat. The cat food ran out pretty early in the winter break and so, at the first available opportunity, we drove out the grocery store to get some more. I also picked up some ingredients to make cream cheese chewies. I don't really know what they are, but a friend of mine gifted me some baking utensils, the recipe for cream cheese chewies, and bag of something called "butter-me-up" mix. I hadn't had time to make them yet, so I thought I might as well make them today.

Of course, once I came home with the groceries, I read the ingredient list and realize that I didn't have powdered sugar. Well, I thought,it's a nice day outside so I take a walk to a nearby grocery store to buy powdered sugar. Once I get back home, I start to mix things together. Then I open the fridge to get some eggs and

"We don't have eggs, do we?" Well, by that time, the sun was going down and it's the middle of winter so I decide to drive to the grocery store this time and buy eggs. I also pick up milk for Matthew, just for good measure.

Once the baking's done, I try some cream cheese chewies and they're...they're pretty good. They taste like a mix between cheesecake and regular cake. Not spectacular or melt-in-your-mouth, but not bad either.

Anyway, it's 8:30 again and I'm sleepy so I go to bed just to be woken by Matthew calling me. He says that he's driving back from his family's house and that they bought me gifts. He wants me to come over to get them. And well...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.