Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Year Off

I was speaking to my friends about what I should do after college. They helped me weigh the pro's and con's of going immediately to graduate school or taking a year off. The latter option sounds tempting. Now. What would I do if I took a year off?

Work 40 hours a week. Pay my own bills. Play music. Learn new skills and meet new people. Not have homework. Watch films. Rediscover myself. Learn what I like.

Learn who I am. All. Over. Again. Or...maybe for the first time?

I suppose I would still visit my parents every once in a while, but mostly, I would learn about the person I could be when I am away from them.

With a year off, I could make lasagna Bolognese. Write letters to people. Save up money. Treat myself every once in a while. Learn to love myself. All over again.

One of my friends stated that it would give me a new perspective on life--I could learn who I was away from my academic identity. This was after I explained to her that I had been going to school for the past 17 years of my life and now I was afraid to do anything else.

I would like more schooling eventually but, my friends do make a point. Who WOULD I be without school?

Maybe, just maybe, I should go find out.

2 comments:

  1. I really hope things work out so we can live together next year. It would be so much fun to be able to cook and bake together, drink tea together, watch films together...

    Especially since this is probably the last year I'll be in Clemson, I really want to spend a lot of quality time with my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would be surprised at how much you learn about yourself when school isn't around to distract you.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.