Saturday, October 16, 2010

Wedding day

I looked up Asian kimono dresses today after I did homework. Or rather, after I stopped doing homework. I was reading about sociology of marriage and intimacy and it made me think of weddings.

Here's what I want my wedding to be like:

Very few people. My husband can invite whomever he wants (the only exception being my parents). I'm inviting only my brother because he'd be fun and he could "give me away."

I want a simple, short ceremony, possibly not done by a Catholic priest because Catholic ceremonies take a long time and always turn in a mass. I might opt for a secular person to marry us, but I'll see how I feel about that in the future.

I don't want a reception. The most I want after the ceremony is my husband and I to dance together as a married couple for the first time. I would like to dance to Merry-Go-Round of Life...or A Little Less Conversation (if I feel more exciting that day), but I'm flexible.

No giant wedding cake either. Don't get me wrong. I like cake and there should be SOME there at least, but I'm not going all-out, seven tier, floral frosting wedding cake. A one or two layer cake would be nice (depending on how many people we have attending).

I'm still undecided about the vows. At first I wanted us to write our own, but then reciting traditional vows would be less stressful and besides...I might not like what I end up writing. Plus, if my husband isn't good at writing (or doesn't like it), it would be unfair to make him write wedding vows.

And lastly...the dress. This is by no means the most important part to me, but I do need to pay special attention to my wedding dress because...I'm flat-chested. No regular wedding dress is going to fit me because I don't have "ample endowment" to hold it up. Besides, it's just going to sag and accentuate the fact that I have nothing in that department. So. This leads to one of two options--either I look long and hard for a wedding dress designed for flat-chested people or...I tailor my own. I'm actually leaning towards the second option. I've always wanted to pick out the design of my own wedding dress (I used to draw dress designs all the time when I was young) and this would be the best opportunity. Most of all, I would like it to be simple. I also would like to wear either white sneakers with my wedding dress or a pair of flats. No high heels. Those things are killer and if I have to go to the (allegedly) happiest day of life in high heels, I'm going to hate it. Plus, I'm clumsy so tripping down the aisle is not an attractive scene.

I'm leaning towards making a dress I saw from this anime show. The dress itself is simple--short-sleeved, long skirt, no frills. And the girl was wearing the cutest flats, too. It wasn't too revealing and it wasn't too conservative. The best part was that the girl in the anime was flat-chested too so the dress suited her. I should show a picture of the girl to a wedding dressmaker and say, "I want that dress and those shoes." I don't know though. Dresses in animes don't always translate well in real life. At least the flats might be a reality. Well, white sneakers would be awesome, too. I got that idea from watching the remake of The Father of the Bride. In the movie, the titular father owned a shoe manufacturing factory and for his daughter's wedding, he had someone make her "wedding sneakers". These were basically white sneakers, classic style, with ribbon and tiny flowers attached to it. I thought it was adorable AND practical. I want to wear sneakers on my wedding day, I thought. Good thing I remembered.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I love your plans. I think any man you choose to marry would love it. I've chosen to avoid marriage at all costs, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually plan to avoid marriage too. Most likely, however, I'm going to get pressure from SOMEONE to get married eventually. Either that or some idiot is going to fall in love with me some day and he's not going to let up until I'm in love with him and married to him. Ugh. I dread when that day comes. But, oh well, you win some, you lose some.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.