Monday, October 4, 2010

Relationship vs. Single

My sociology class was discussing the benefits of being single versus marriage. While I was taking down notes for my study guide, I looked up articles and opinions online about the advantages of being single vs. having a relationship. I chose relationship because it's more pertinent to people my age and also because marriage is a relationship of its own. Actually, it's the worst kind--the permanent one. Or so it says in wedding vows. We all know about divorce statistics these days...

Anyway, I found one woman's blog and how she wrote about the advantages of being single vs. relationship. She wrote about it in six domains. I left a comment on her blog saying that being single vs. relationship also depends partly on personality type. I've been single for a long time and I quite enjoy it. Other friends of mine seek relationships and revel in them. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

I used to think that I was odd for not wanting a relationship, but after speaking with a few of my friends, they told me that I was fine. There was nothing wrong with me. Personally, I don't want to date for AT LEAST the next three to five years. Too many things I want to do with my life...

Now I'm not saying that a relationship is going to hinder living out my dreams and ambitions. On the contrary, many people enjoy having someone to share their life experiences and adventures. I suppose it's because I'm highly emotionally independent. Or strive to be. Or maybe because I'm highly avoidant? Eh, I'm not too worried about it.

Anyway, dear reader(s), what are your thoughts on the subject? Is it better to be single or to be in a relationship? Does personality factor in? How about age or life circumstances? How about bad luck? Good luck? Timing? Fate? Destiny? I'd welcome comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.