Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chesire Cat

I woke up at 7 a.m. to go to church today, and then slept for another three hours after I got back. Hmmm...good sleep, even if it's difficult to fall asleep while in pain. Anyway, I was supposed to spend time with some friends today but I still felt exhausted. I called one of my friends to see what I should do about this problem. He said that I sounded tired and suggested that I go back to sleep.

"But a promise's a promise," I whined.
"Um, I think he'll understand if you're tired and need to not...physically die."

I almost died laughing from that. I love my friends. They're good cheerer-uppers.

Anyway, I delayed hanging out with friends until later. ERRANDS FIRST! My roommate and I went to do laundry and to buy groceries. While waiting for our clothes to finish washing, we sat in a nearby fast-food restaurant and played Magic: The Gathering. Yeah...we're nerds. And then something happened.

The restaurant is set up with two rows of booths separated by this barrier. This one guy who sat in the booth across from us popped his head over the barricade and said something to me. I thought he said "magic", but after deliberating for a while, we realized that he must have said "nice hat." (I was wearing my birthday fedora today). I'm glad someone liked it.

Grocery shopping was fun. As a matter of fact, grocery shopping is probably my favorite kind of shopping. Unlike most girls, I don't get as excited about buying clothes or shoes as I do about buying food. Thinking with my stomach again, I believe.

Anyway, I was excited because I found these little pint-size jars of frozen yogurt that looked like ice cream. This way I can pig out and not feel guilty.

My roommate and I are also very efficient about shopping. We got all one dozen things on our list and checked out within thirty minutes. Now that's what I call speedy shopping.

I spent some time with Ryan (since it's probably the last time I'll see him for a month) and we went to talk to Johnathon. Johnathon told us about his trip to Atlanta, GA and how he got to tour Emory University with his new friend Will. He sounds so happy.

Ryan and I watched The Big Bang Theory before he took me home. I miss that show. I do miss watching TV sometimes, but...eh. I'd rather spend time taking walks or reading or spending time with friends. Maybe one day when I'm old and gray, I'll re-watch all the episodes I missed out on while I was younger.

Lastly, I tried to sleep earlier today but I just kept drifting in and out of sleep for a while. I finally got up and was about to do something when I heard my roommate come home.

I almost ran downstairs when I heard someone else there, too. Must be George, I thought. I had heard his voice outside. Better not interrupt, I thought as I seated myself at the top of the stairs to eavesdrop. That...did not work out. Apparently, my roommate was about to go up the stairs or something because he saw me.

"Come down here," he commanded.
Me? I asked wordlessly, pointing to myself.
"Come down here, woman!"
I proceeded the rest of the way down the stairs. George raised a hand and greeted me.

"You have a really big smile on your face," he commented. I said nothing, just grinned. Ben and Melissa arrived shortly afterwards and everyone commenced to talk about Magic: The Gathering. I seated myself on the living room end table and listened. That's what I'm best at doing--listening.

"So how are you?" George asked, starting a conversation with me. When I didn't answer right away, he said that I looked dazed.
"Are you tired?" Melissa asked.
"I just woke up from a two-hour nap," I replied.
"Ohmigawd, I'm going to slug you in the face," Ben said to me. "With a horn," he added. "Then they'll call me Slughorn."

I grinned again. I felt like the Cheshire Cat tonight. Little speaking, lots of smiling.

Also, there's the annual poetry recital coming up this year and I need to pick out a few good poems. Wonder if I'm brave enough to do the race one...

2 comments:

  1. Not RACE poem. I meant RACY poem. Haha. The "hot-a**" poem by Jennifer Knox.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.