Thursday, June 6, 2013

Questions, a New Story, and the Big Picture

I went to my counselor and she told me to answer the following questions as an exercise.

What do I want?
How do I get what I want?
What if I could get it?
What if I can do all those things that I want to do?

Now let me try to answer it.

What do I want? I want to healthier. I want to be free. I want to exercise more and sleep more and relax more. I want to breathe deeply. I want to make enough money so that I don't have to worry about money. I want lots of free time. I want a job that I like which also challenges me. I want to have happy, healthy, high-quality relationships. And I'm not just talking about relationships with other people, I'm talking about relationships with myself. With nature. With my spirituality. And with my past. I just want to LIKE myself again.

How do I get what I want? That's a tough question. With an easy answer. Persistence, persistence, persistence. Never give up. If something isn't working, try something else, but remember, anything worth having is worth fighting for. And working for. And waiting for. Too many for's.

What if I could get it? I'd be on top of the world. I'd be smiling all the time, on the outside and on the inside. I'd glow. Things would come easier just because I'd believe that I can do it.

What if I can do all those things that I want to do? Well, wouldn't I be an accomplished person then? Maybe not by society's standards, but by my own. And maybe that is what's important.

Then she told me to write a new story. "You've had this story for a long time," she told me. "Now write yourself a new one." What a tall order. "I don't even know how to write a new one," I told her sadly. "I mean, I guess that even though I complain about my parents all the time, in general, they were good to me. I never did starve. I always had enough money to get by."

"There. That's all you need. You're already doing it."
"Really?" I asked, incredulous. Could it really be that easy? I always thought it had be some difficult, complicated thing. Or maybe that's just my personality, to see things as more difficult and complicated than they really are.
"It's about seeing the big picture," my counselor told me.
The big picture....what a concept. I could learn to think like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.