Friday, February 1, 2013

A Dusting of Snow

It snowed on Friday. I was driving home from internship and watched as the snow dusted the street. "They say it's only going to be a powdering of snow," a woman at my internship had said.

There was also a girl at my internship who came from California and so this was her first snow day. She was very excited. I was excited, too. Even though I've had snow days before when I lived down South, I still loved it whenever there was snow. Friday's snow was special since I've never seen anything like it before. Instead of the deep, thick snow that packed down on the side of streets and turned into slush, this snow really was a "powder." It was all tiny snowflakes that spiraled on the ground like crystals instead of melting. The wind often scattered the snow and swirled it around, forming a whirlwind of dancing diamonds. The effect reminded me very much of wind-swept mountains and I kept staring at the snow as I drove by, mesmerized. Even though I can't stand frigid temperatures, I might brave it one day to go see snow-swept mountains. Make friends with the caribou or the alpacas, whichever mountain range I end up visiting.

Ah, I love snow days. The woman at my internship said that on snow days where everything closed down, she liked to stay at home in her onesies pajamas. I told my mother about this and she reminded me of how much I loved to wear onesies pajamas when I was a child. I suddenly felt nostalgic. I DID like to wear them a lot. I had a pair of them when I was seven; they were butter yellow and buttoned up at the shoulders, kind of like coveralls. The only thing I didn't like about them was the fact that I had to unbutton them and take the whole thing off if I wanted to use the restroom in the middle of the night. I suppose when I start making money, I might buy a pair. Then, when there are snow days and I don't have to be anywhere, I can sit in the window seat in my onesies pajamas, sip hot chocolate, and watch the snow fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.