Monday, October 8, 2012

Oct. 2, 2012


My roommate offered to drive me to school this morning. “Is it going to rain?” I asked her. We looked outside. The sky wasn’t raining, but it threatened to rain. “I’ll walk to school,” I told her. “I’ll just bring any umbrella.”

Boy was I glad I did. It didn’t rain on the way to school, but it rained for my entire walk home. Also, I ended up lending my umbrella to a friend during lunch break. She didn’t want to take it at first. 

“It’s raining,” she moaned. 
“Here, take my umbrella. You can just give it back to me later.” 
“Won’t you need it?”
 “Naw, I’m just going over there for lunch,” I said, pointing to a building nearby. “You have to go across the street so take my umbrella.” 
“No, it’s okay.”
 “We meet in the next class, woman!” 
Pause. 
“Okay. All right,” she said, taking the umbrella. 
 When we met again in the next class, she shook out the umbrella and said, “Thank you so much. Your umbrella saved me.”  

In other news, I made a new friend today. I went into the lounge, my usual place to eat lunch, and scanned the room for anyone I knew. One of my classmates sitting by herself at the round table in the corner; here was my chance. 

“Hello, may I sit with you?” 
“Of course,” she said, pulling out a seat. 
“Don’t you usually sit with Julie and the others?” I asked, confused about why she was alone today. 
“They only go to school on Wednesday,” she told me. Then, lowering her voice like it was a secret, she said, “They go to school part-time.”
We ended up chatting and playing a game called Seven Little Words on her laptop. Before we parted ways to go to class, she said, “You’re playing this tomorrow, too.” I smiled and left.

In class, I gave a presentation. As usual, I became nervous. Despite all of my conscious efforts to talk slowly, I rushed through the presentation, revealed a lot more than I had intended, and ran over my allotted time. Luckily, my teacher did not seem to mind and let me go on. The class seemed engaged…I think? Or maybe that was just my wishful thinking…

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.