Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Physical Labor

I was talking to my counselor this morning (I go to a counselor now) and she was talking about she liked physical labor and that if she had been born a boy, she would be a manual laborer. I agreed with her. She and I were kindred spirits. I found that a good sign. We both were personality types of what I call "the creator". We like to create things--art, woodwork, food, stories. We also like to work with our hands.

What she said to me was only reinforced later on when I went to my volunteer activity. I'm in the environmentalist group at school and today, I went to help clear away some tree branches and vines so my group could make a sustainability plot near the edge of our campus. I spent a hour hauling away invasive plants such as English ivy and holly branches. It was a good amount of exertion but nothing I couldn't handle. That's when I realized how much I missed nature and I how much I liked physical labor. I could do this for a living, I thought to myself.

I was walking to class after that and I made a mental list of what would constitute my perfect job. Needless to say, the list was very strange. Ideally, I would like a job where I could assemble furniture, mop floors, and do yardwork all day long. Basically, I would be a kind of handyman/janitor. Huh, and all this college education gone to waste. Who knew?

Too bad there really isn't a job like that. Well, unless I wanted to be a self-employed handyman/janitor. Tee-hee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.