Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Foot-in-mouth syndrome much?

I've been taking piano classes for two years now, but it wasn't until my practice piano recital today that I realized my teacher puts her foot in her mouth on occasion. When we had all played our pieces and my teacher critiqued us, she told us to bring as many people as we could to the REAL recital in two-and-a-half weeks. Then she turned to Leonka, the quietest person in class and said, "Leonka, do you have any...friends?" Here she waved her hands as if that helped explain the word "friends" to a girl who might not grasp its meaning. My other classmates and I just looked at each other and our jaws dropped in complete shock. I tried laughing to dispel a little of the awkwardness but even I was appalled by what she had said. I, for one, happen to know that Leonka DOES have friends. She's one of those people who are always quiet in class but social in real life. Poor Leonka. I hope she doesn't clam up even more because of that.

Then my teacher said, "You all should invite your mothers, brothers, sisters...whatever relatives you can find lying around." My classmates and I exchanged confused looks and raised eyebrows.

When my teacher said "whatever relatives you can find lying around", I had an image of walking out of class one day, running into someone, and, after a short talk, I would throw out my arms and exclaim, "Hey! You're my long-lost relative! Won't you come to my piano recital?" And they would gladly accept and we'd have this warm hug.

Or maybe one day, I'll be waiting at a cross-walk and see something shiny on the ground. "Hey!" I exclaim again, "It's a relative! Imma take you home, shine you up, and carry you in my pocket to my piano recital."

Tee-hee. It's great what kind of lemons life brings you sometimes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm jumira-wings, likely to be one of the strangest people you'll ever meet.